The amount of times I said I’ll write this post later is ironic. Seriously. Yes, I’ve been quite busy lately, but still..
And I just kept thinking…Are we all like that? Postponing things until right before the deadline? Why do we do this to ourselves?
Procrastination is something we all regret doing, it never gets us anywhere, yet we never seem to learn from it. No one likes dealing with the hard stuff, but leaving it until later doesn’t make it easier. And it definitely doesn’t make the problem disappear. Solving it does.
Excuses. Rule number one of never getting anything done? Make excuses, so you don’t feel guilty about it.
How to beat procrastination…
- Make a list of all the important things you have to do. Keep it short, simple and straight forward, so it doesn’t demotivate you.
- Update your list ever evening. If you don’t get to finish one of the tasks, make it a priority for the next day – and this time, MAKE SURE YOU GET IT DONE! No matter what it takes.
2. One bit at a time
- Divide your projects into smaller tasks. You can stretch them out through the week and get a piece of work done each day.
- Take short breaks. No one likes working for too long and it could start getting hard to concentrate.
3. No distractions
- Get rid of all distractions around you – food, people, loud noises, social media, you know what I mean…
- Turn off your phone. Apps like Off Time or StayFocused can block your mobile for a certain amount of time, so you can only use it for important calls and texts.
4. Schedule it
When you go out with your friends, you set yourself a date and time… and then you actually stick to it. The same goes for everything you plan this way. You don’t keep putting off a doctor’s appointment, do you?
So set a date for your tasks as well – and when the time comes to get down to work, NO EXCUSES!!!
Reward yourself after finishing something important! And tick the tasks off your lists. Even small things like that can help you stay motivated.
And the most important thing? START RIGHT NOW!